Monday, July 24, 2017

Week #95: I'M ALIVE!



Hello World! 

It's been awhile since I've written. Its been crazy the time that has passed and how fast it has passed. It's crazy to think that the majority of the guys I came out to the mission with are already home or about to get home! In less than 2 months I'll be packing my bags too. Where does time go? I'm doing well out here! I'm in a beach town called Necochea. It's COLD. Humid and cold. But it's a pretty place. I'm happy to be here, especially as a missionary! 

I was thinking a lot about how often we ask ourselves "Why?" when it comes to the commandments and the norms of the church. Why we have to go to church, why we cant drink tea or coffee, why we have to obey the law of chastity, why we have to do monthly visits, why tithing is a thing, why it's a commandment to preach the gospel, why, why, why. Sometimes we get so caught up in these "why"s that we give ourselves doubt, or confuse ourselves. I had a lot of these thoughts running through my head in these last few weeks, and I realized yesterday that they were bringing me down. I was literally creating my own opposition. (Which is quite common among members of our church). I then began to try to figure out how to turn the opposition into a blessing and a thought crossed my mind. "Don´t ask why, ask how." And my whole perspective was changed. You know that feeling that you get when you're driving and you don't recognize where you are, but you think you kind of know where you're at, and then all of the sudden you cross a road that you're familiar with and it's like your whole world is turned around? hahah well, that's what I felt like! Focus on the "how". How can I make church a more spiritual experience? How can I better live the Word of Wisdom? How can I be more pure? How can I have a more spiritual time in my monthly visits? This idea has improved my work by a landslide. Maybe its something you can apply in your lives too. 

Here's a good luck shout out to my little brother. Love you, bud. 

Thanks again for all of the support you have all shown me. 

Elder Holmes